October 17, 2008

Dave Morey Bidding KFOG Adieu

So I'm off listening to KNBR's Gary Radnich this morning (still smarting from a sassy email gone wrong yesterday) when The Great Radu mentions in passing that the great Dave Morey is retiring from Cumulus sister-station KFOG (104.5 FM).

Hustling over to KFOG, we learn that Morey's retirement isn't immediate -- he'll hold down the morning shift until December 19, then head off to Michigan. (Strange ... most Michiganders do just the opposite, it seems, as you'll witness at any Sharks, Warriors or A's game.)

On KFOG's website, the terribly underrated Morey blogged:

To: All
From: Me
Re: The Master Plan.

It is time to announce my retirement … EVEN THOUGH I AM NOT THAT OLD.

My decision.

Last show for KFOG will be Friday, December 19th.

Here’s the deal:I’ve been thinking about this for a couple years. Thanks to excellent planning and despite global collapse of the financial industry, I will be able to realize a dream I’ve had for a long time.

I’m leaving the Bay Area – returning to Michigan. It’s hard to explain to someone who’s not from there so I won’t even try. I think y’all know how I feel about the Midwest.

Dave Morey has spent 26 years on the air in the Bay Area, beginning at KSFX before crossing over to KFOG. He will continue to host the popular "10 at 10" daily feature by long distance following his retirement.

More details in Dave's blog at http://tinyurl.com/morey-kfog

UPDATE: Ben Fong-Torres' "Radio Waves" column in Sunday's Datebook is awash in Morey minutia. Somebody got the advance scoop!

Labels: , , , ,