February 14, 2007

RIP: KABL's Adult Standards On The Internet

It's been gone for a month and a half, and I hadn't noticed it until today: Clear Channel has slinked away from the rotting corpse of the once proud KABL, disconnecting the life support from the Adult Standards audio stream.

Clear Channel has even cast aside the fabled KABL call letters, which they had exiled to Salinas; that station has since become KION. KABL joins KOME on the callsign scrap heap; I guess Clear Channel subscribes to the thinking that call letters really don't mean anything any more.

From KABLradio.com:


Goodbye...

Dear Friends of KABL,

Due to circumstances beyond our contol, it is our sad duty to announce that, as of January 1, 2007, Kablradio.com will be ceasing operation. On behalf of myself, our Webmaster Sean, and the KABL Gang...Jim Lange, Dino Donikian, Carter B. Smith, and Mario in Production, a heartfelt thanks for your loyal support. Perhaps at some point off into the future, a kabl 2.0 will appear. Meanwhile, please visit our friends at {LINK REMOVED}. There you will find great music and wonderful people who love this music and this era as much as we all do.

You should know that everybody is doing fine. Jim and Nancy are travelling a lot and enjoying retirement. Carter B. is plotting to corner the ENTIRE stock market. Dino is still the unofficial Mayor of San Leandro. Sean, Mario, and yours truly are busy with several radion stations in our company.

Again, our sincere thanks and best wishes for a great 2007.

Clark Reid
Program Director
kablradio.com

DOTS & DASHES -- Brad Kava reported in his blog this evening that veteran Bay Area broadcaster Leo Laporte will begin doing a computers and technology show on KGO/810, replacing Michael Finney's consumer news and views show in the 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. slot on Sundays. Finney will continue to be KGO-TV's consumer reporter ... The Marin Independent-Journal notes that KCBS/740 reporter and weekend anchor Janice Wright (Mrs. Mike Sugerman) "has joined Zanides Public Relations in San Rafael to specialize in managing bad publicity." Wright has been on the KCBS airwaves this week, however, doing that reporting thing she does...

Kevin Barrett is the guy to blame if you don't like the programming that will be emitted by Pappas Radio's new KTRB/860 in San Francisco beginning March 1. He's been named as program director for the transplanted AM station, a job he's already been filling at sister station KMPH/840 in magnificent Modesto ... Ron Stevens (ex-KOCN, KYAA) is Michael Zwerling's choice as new president of ZBS Radio's KSCO/1080 and KOMY/1340, both housed on the briny banks of Corcoran Lagoon in Santa Cruz. 10,000-watt KSCO is a news/talker anchored by Rush Limbaugh, while 1000-watt KOMY recently flipped to Oldies; those roles could potentially be reversed this Summer if a few things fall into place...

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nita said...

I used to love KABL I listened to it for a long time when I was a kid (it helped me feel safe at night and was a good sleeping pill). Sorry to see it go.

On another note, can you please tell me what happened to the best damned rock, R&B, Pop variety station this morning? 95.7 has been taken over and I'm quite disappointed. I called to let them know what I thought and was in no mood to howl. Can you tell me what happened? Did they move? Can I still hear it, or are all of us faithful fans S.O.L???

March 01, 2007 8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was in the year of 1972 when I first visited my aunts, uncles and cousins in California.
Coming from Europe that was a real adventure. Everything was so different.
Especially radio. So much choice in stations that play only music and music alone of one sort.
We loved to listen to stations like KBAY, KFOG and of course KABL.
All the "easy listening" type of music.
I don't know how many cassette tapes we made but until now in the 21st century they are still played back home in Amsterdam - The Netherlands.
The internet helped a lot by giving us the pleasure of listening to KABL again and thus remembering those wonderfull days during our holidays in the States.
I don't know how it is possible,but when I Google on the net I can still find and play KABL. Which I hope will never die.
Jack Voogt - Amsterdam/The Netherlands (Europe)

April 28, 2007 3:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really miss KABL, tuned in every morning to Jim and Dino. Nothing else compares. Sorry it ended.

June 07, 2007 7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The KABL Music audio stream on the Internet was revived on June 1. It can now be accessed through the website (which has other info about the history of KABL) at:

http://www.RadioKABL.com

June 07, 2007 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss this station. Discovered it 10 years ago in my 1968 Mercury Cougar with the factory AM radio stuck on KABL. Have been listening to it since. Love the music, the personalities, and miss the wonderful emotions that it brought. For several months I worked as a pilot out of Fresno and nothing made me happier than to hear KABL fade in on my radio as the distance home shrank and I knew I was coming home for good.

LOVED this station and hope we get a station like this soon. Im in my 30s and I cant stand the garbage on the radio today.

January 18, 2008 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I lived in The Bay Area, this was my favorite station. I like to listen to Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Johnny Mathis, Diana Krall, Andy Williams, Steve Lawrence, Eydie Gorme, Ed Ames, Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Muuray and many of the "Good Singers". It is better than Heavy Metal or Rap.

I now live in Arizona and there are four radio stations in Tucson. KSAZ, KCEE, KGVY and KTUC. Phoenix also has KOY which plays the songs I like. I do miss the Bay Area but, at least in Arizona they have stations that play the above mentioned singers.

P.S. I do miss Carter B. Smith, "Gentlemen" Jim Lange, Dino, Clark Reid, and Mike Cleary.

July 19, 2008 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Return To Digest Front Page